[texhax] tabbing in macros [\outer, Plain TeX]

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Sep 13 23:50:34 CEST 2006

At 15:54 07.09.06, you wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:29:43PM +0200, Uwe Lück wrote:
> > In general, define all your macros using \+ globally
> > in a group started with \let\+\relax
>
>Cool!

Thanks, Oleg, nice; this relieves me very much of dropping
nonsense here at other times. As often, I needed some guesses to
find a lucky one. In the present case, perhaps I'd have been
more sure if I'd read /TeXbook p. 206/ on \outer
(this pointer makes me put the message to the list -- and
what follows).

I'm adding `Plain TeX' to the subject because a question
on documentation arises here -- which was in another thread
recently [namely ... sorry, not finding]. Wrongly here in-as-much
that The TeXbook seems to suffice another time.
I have realized or heard or thought that sometimes the
TeXbook doesn't tell everything (the exact algorithm,
or what macro some primitive abbreviates [thinking on \accent])
... I have planned to ask here about the
   *** TeX Reference Manual by David Bausum ***
     http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb23-1/kluwer.pdf#search=%22TeX%20Reference%20Manual%22

-- any experiences? If so, I would like to know in order to
submit it to a local library.

Cheers, Uwe.