[texhax] Collection for social sciences and the humanities for TeXLive 2006

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Sep 8 16:32:08 CEST 2006

Hi Jürgen,

I know of a few additional packages that I would like to recommend
for "critical editions".

Although *lineno.sty* and *manyfoot/nccfoots* (ncctools bundle,
manyfoot needs nccfoots.sty) are parts of the ednotes bundle
in a wider sense, they might be considered themselves.
Namely, I have received a query the last days reporting that
some critical edition project uses lineno.sty without footnotes.
And then *numline.sty* might be considered with the same right,
although I think it has not been changed for 10 years or so.
On the other hand, *manyfoot* and its extension *bigfoot*
may be used for critical editions without line numbers,
indeed this is what David Kastrup does (with his bigfoot).
Moreover, *memoir.cls* contains a somewhat extended version
of manyfoot's facilities. (All mentioned so far in latex/contrib)

Moreover *arab.tex* (Plain TeX) and *ledarab* (ledmac bundle)
and possibly something for other languages (*Hebrew*!?
*Sanskrit*!? [Dominik Wujastik works there]) are not mainly
meant for simply authoring Arab etc. documents, rather
for critical editions of Arabic etc. mathematical etc. texts
from the Middle Ages.

And this also applies to many font and language packages.
E.g., there are recent packages for classical Greek
-- *ibicus4*, something by Claudio Beccari, and some
babel versions of them ("polutoniko") -- and for certain
blends of Latin!? (Claudio Beccari again!? may be just
concerning hyphenation -- you might ask him).

Shifting to archeology/ancient history, Peter Wilson has
made some ("new") fonts for transcribing other ancient texts
from the cultures near the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

One might as well think of *classes* from publishers and
journals who/that mainly publish things from the humanities.
Incidentally, mentis comes to my mind.

-- About when will the deadline be? I am working at some changes
for lineno.sty and ednotes.sty, or also thinking on some.

Thanks (for the interesting list!),

Uwe.