[texhax] file not found error

Jay cooljay2708 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:55:25 CET 2006

On 11/29/06, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:

> At 08:07 28.11.06, Jay wrote:
>
> >I am unable to compile any tex file with latex command. I am getting
> >mention below error for every tex file:
> >
> >                  This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
> >                  ! I can't find file `sample.tex'.
> >                  <*> sample.tex
>
> Probably you just must have the directory containing those .tex files
> in the currently active window, or choose this directory by "cd".
>
> By the way, TeX mailing list readers tend to ignore html postings.
>
> Hope this helps -- Uwe.

I have done the same. My file resides at /home/jay/tex/sample.tex. Today I
have noticed, kpsewhich command is not functioning properly. for example:
kpsewhich book.cls is showing the complete path but when I am searching the
path for other packages like graphics.sty, longtable.sty, not showing
any path.

Whenever I execute the latex sample.tex command, I have encountered with
mention above error. Do I have problem with Kpathsea? Do I need to
re-install tetex?

Please suggest.

Thanking you,
Sanjay