[texhax] Is there other tools than bibtex for librarians

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Nov 27 01:54:48 CET 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Eric Pietrocupo wrote:

> Classification Scheme Builder : Being able to create a hierachy of
> subject class to create a classification scheme like Dewey or
> Library of
> congress. The numbering of the Classes would be done automatically
> and an
> index could be created pointing on the subject number instead of page.

Sorting in TeX is hard. Usually this sort of thing would be done by
stuffing a database w/ all the relevant text, then extracting it w/
appropriate macro tagging to allow it to then be compiled. Since you
can have multiple indexes in a given document, it should be feasible
to build one as such a classification scheme.

> Subject Heading/Index builder : being able to build some kind of
> thesaurus
> index, with redirection toward other entries in the index, that
> does not
> necessarily point on a page like the current indexes. If it could
> automatically manage word entries permutation, it could be
> interesting.

References and left/right/first/last mark allow one to do this sort
of thing if I'm understanding what you're getting at.

> MARC Catalogue reading : A module to read marc catalogue entries

This is better suited to BiBTeX front-ends --- although there isn't
one which does this AFAIK, there are book database systems which can
query MARC and other catalogues and then export to BiBTeX. Books for
Mac OS X is one example. http://books.aetherial.net/wordpress/

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.