[texhax] Book Antiqua

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue May 23 17:05:37 CEST 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> William Adams wrote:
>

>> Don't use Book Antiqua. It's a knock-off of Prof. Hermann Zapf's
>> Palatino over which he resigned from ATypI.
>>
>> http://www.mindspring.com/~fez/palatino/palfaq1.0.txt
>
> It doesn't say "don't use it"; it says
>
>> If you do have Book Antiqua and use it,
>> be a good person and buy the real thing.
>
> So there's no reason why the querent shouldn't use it so
> long as he owns a licenced copy of Palatino ...

Except that a big part of Prof. Zapf's complaint was that Book
Antiqua wasn't done very well in both a technical and aesthetic sense
--- all spacing in it matches that of the metal font in an 18 unit
system, so spacing adjustments are much coarser than they should be,
so things don't look as nice as they would when using a design
produced w/o mindlessly following such constraints.

And working out how to use Book Antiqua is silly when one can get
access to something better and more capable, and more compatible with
a single line:

\usepackage{mathpazo}

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.