[texhax] Puzzling (La)TeX output

Micha Hofri hofri at cs.wpi.edu
Fri May 5 00:06:00 CEST 2006

All you need to do is to put it in \mbox.  I assume there are more
elagant ways (I could not compile it even, the way you write it --- TeX
bit it and was poisoned: capacity exceeded):

 \newcommand{\dx}{\mbox{{\rm dx}}}

That was fine

--Micha

At 14:30 on 05/04/06 Justin C. Walker sent:

: Hi,
:
: I tripped over this and can't explain it; I hope someone here will
: show me what I am missing:
:
: Using this source:
:
: =====
: \newcommand{\dx}{\rm dx}
:
: $\Phi(\dx_i)=dx_i$.
: =====
:
: the output has both "dx_i"s the same ("upright", including the
: subscript).  If I use
:
: $\Phi({\dx}_i)=dx_i$.
:
: the output is what I would expect (the second "dx", and both "i"s are
: "italic").  I'm clearly missing or forgetting something about the way
: (La)TeX operates.
:
: Clues?
:
: Thanks for the help.
:
: Regards,
:
: Justin
:
: --
: Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
: Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds
: Some people have a mental horizon of radius zero, and
: call it their point of view.
:    -- David Hilbert
:
: