[texhax] upgrade of PSTricks documentation

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Wed May 3 20:55:14 CEST 2006

Martin:

> > Well I would have NEVER thought to look under 'obsolete' for the latest
> > version of a manual!  The warning there is pretty severe!
>
> If you go to <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/> which,
> I think, is a reasonable place to start a search

Indeed ...

> you will find the
> README file. In pt. 5 - Documentation you find information about where
> to find the manual. You also get the reason it was put under 'obsolete'.

Yes.  This explains the problem.

The definition of 'obsolete' is:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?obsolete

1 a : no longer in use or no longer useful b : of a kind or style no
longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

That's my understanding of the word too.  So if I want the latest
version of a manual and I find a version filed under 'obsolete' then
by the definition of the word, and since there IS a current manual, it
implies that there is another version that is not obsolete, that is
still in use, that is still useful and that it is SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I suspect that this happened because subtle meanings in language are
hard to grasp.  Yet the meaning of 'obsolete' is very clear,
effectively: "Do not look here for the latest version!".

So of course I didn't.

I suggest that the name of this directory be changed.  Maybe you could
simply give it the version number.  That's the way people archive old
programs.  (But it would be nice to always indicate clearly what the
current version is or people not necessarily understand whether
something like 3b62c is before or after 3682b ...)

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)