[texhax] Was Re: pagestyle{empty}; Now is LaTeX documentation

bill purvis bil at beeb.net
Fri Mar 31 08:08:30 CEST 2006

On Thursday 30 Mar 2006 22:09, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> > I think that the following are well-intentioned, but they might be
> > misconstrued as off-putting remarks:
>
> I'm not sure these discusions are ever particularly useful to anyone, but
> here goes: lessons are often hard to take but a student with a minimum of
> maturity accepts them.

As an occasional LaTeX user, who struggled to get to grips with the
earliest releases, and never used it enough to become a 'regular user',
and still tends to put {\bf ...} in his documents, I much prefer answers
of the form 'do it like this...' to those which say 'this is wrong, go and
read the book', especially when the 'do it like this...' reply can be a
one-liner.

I HAVE bought a copy of the Latex Companion (2nd Ed, at vast expense;
I have no expense account that I can bill it to!) and I have yet to read
it from cover to cover (one day I'll find time and inclination), and I
do consult online documentation before asking questions (which is why
you may find my name unfamiliar).

Bill