[texhax] ligatures

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Mar 15 21:28:35 CET 2006

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> They should be embedded by default when using pdftex and dvipdfm, at
> least in recent miktex/teTeX-based distributions.

tetex is what I've got.  But...

> For dvips, perhaps all that is needed is to change updmap.cfg:
> dvipsDownloadBase35 true

This is the answer.  dvips -Pdownload35 trash.dvi puts the standard
fonts into the ps file, and then ps2pdf embeds them.  ps2pdf apparently
won't embed Times if it isn't already there, and there is a parsing
problem that prevents you from requesting it on the ps2pdf command line.

But, if I use palatino, dvips won't embed it by default, but ps2pdf will
put it in.  dvips -Pdownload35 will put palatino into the ps file.

But, if I use the cm fonts, dvips puts them into the ps file by default,
and ps2pdf follows its lead.

I guess that means that palatino is one of the standard 35 PS fonts
according to dvips, but not one of the select group of 14 according to
ghostscript.  Go figure.

Thank you very much everyone for this and the other suggestions.
pdffonts also is quite informative.

 -tom