[texhax] Crosscompilation of TeX

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Mar 11 12:30:28 CET 2006

At 20:37 10.03.06, Karl Berry wrote:

>     E.g. the ARM-processor does not contain a floating point unit.
>
>There is actually a long-standing (as in decades old) patch from Knuth
>to make the TeX code use only fixed point arithmetic.  I admit I am not
>sure whether it's applied in the current distributions.

According to the Wikipedia article on TeX, "fixed point arithmetic only"
is an essential feature of TeX. Some recent discussion on the LaTeX list
has indicated the same; and I know of no indication that this should
have changed with e-TeX -- since there seems to be some
agreement that this is vital for minimizing differences of outcome
on different machines. But I hope that someone reading this list
is better informed than I am and will post accordingly.

Good luck,
   Uwe.