[texhax] LaTeX - sample letters

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 31 23:33:25 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 01:54:45PM EDT, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 31 July 2006 12:10, cga2000 wrote:
> > Where could I find letter samples that I could use for templates?
> >
> > I am mostly looking for samples of US "official" correspondence but I
> > would also be interested in their UK equivalent.
> >
> > Samples of correspondence in Spanish and French would also be of
> > interest.
> >

> I usually start with the letterformat.tex as defined in _The
> TeXBook. Then I add my own personalized headers by editing that
> file. This is of course a plain TeX and not a LaTeX approach.

Yes, this may be a problem since I don't wish to look into plain TeX at
this point.

> The Lyx package might have a letter template suitable for LaTeX. I
> haven't looked at it in recent years.

It does.  I've grown very dissatisfied with GUI's and have switched to
a text-only interface.  I did have the curiosity to check the letter
templates that are shipped with LyX and I found two.

So I used LyX's Export menu option to generate a LaTeX version of one
of them -- the simpler of the two, and it does generate a valid .tex
file that I can use as a starting point.

Thanks

cga