[texhax] Math in HTML (was Blogs)

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 12:15:07 CEST 2006

Victor

> One of the strong features of PDF (fidelity of the page, in
> particular, the fixed height:width ratio after PDF is produced) is
> also it's weakness.

Yes indeed, a subject on which I have spoken many times.

> Here html definitely would be preferable.

But only for this tiny reason.  Unless you really mean `XML and
well-behaved browsers for all'.

There are many issues around `who controls the appearance:
author/editor or reader' but at least if XML were widely accepted as
`what a web-page contains' then there would be some chnace of addressing
these interesting ideas.

PDF is far inferior to MathML as there is no reader-control of the
appearance of the math etc; and it is unsearchable and uncopyable (these
latter two are essential to our project).

chris