[texhax] Problem getting .png to display properly using pdftex in MikTex

hgi at shaw.ca hgi at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 13 02:52:41 CEST 2006

Hi!

I have been using \includegraphics[width=1\columnwidth]{InfoMonthlyheader1} and this (and all graphics) have been imported as .eps.   Now, with some great advice to get me started, from this group, I have tried using pdftex from MikTex on a Win32 system.   I cut a raft of code out of my document and have a very skeletal version below so experts can see what I'm up to and perhaps spot really dumb things I'm doing.  My problem is that when I do includegraphics[width=.8\columnwidth]{flowsNew1.png}, I end up with a very, very, very large graphic in my document.  I even edited it down to be a tiny image, but it still ends up so huge that only a portion can fit on the page.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I must do to get .png files to display properly?

I can continue to use .eps files if I cannot use .png.

Thanks so much!

-Warren
(code follows)
-----------------------------------------------------------------  SNIP  -----------------------------------------------------------------
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{pdftex}
\usepackage{pgf}

%charter font
\usepackage[OT1, T1]{fontenc}

%use TeX encoding then Type 1.
\definecolor{altncolor}{rgb}{.8,0,0}

\textwidth = 8 in
\textheight = 12 in
\oddsidemargin = -.9in
\evensidemargin = -.9in

\topmargin = -40pt

\headheight = 0pt
\headsep = 0pt
\parskip = 4pt
\parindent = 0.0in
\marginparwidth = 0pt
\marginparsep = 0pt

\pagestyle{empty}

\columnsep=20pt                         % Space between columns
\columnseprule=.001pt                     % Width of rule between columns

\begin{document}
\raggedright

\includegraphics[width=1\columnwidth]{InfoMonthlyheader1}
\hoffset=.4in

\begin{minipage}[t]{1\linewidth}

\begin{center}
\large {\textcolor{black}{Caseload Update April 2006 Assistance Month}}
\end{center}

\begin{multicols}{2}
\fontfamily{pbk}\selectfont
\fontsize{12}{13}\selectfont

\colorbox{blue}{\color{white} \hspace{.1in} {\textbf{Caseload Update (old  )}} \color{blue}{iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii}  }
\vspace{10pt}

A table usually goes here.

\newline
\includegraphics[width=.8\columnwidth]{flowsNew1.png}

\fontfamily{pbk}\selectfont
\fontsize{12}{13}\selectfont

\colorbox{blue}{\color{white} \hspace{.1in}{\textbf{Transitions - March to April 2006}} \color{blue}{iiiiiiiiiiiiiii}  }

More stuff here

\end{multicols}
\end{minipage}
\end{document}