[texhax] Location of cls file

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Wed Jan 11 14:18:38 CET 2006

> I've faced the following problem with MiKTeX. I have a cls file which
> works fine if placed under localtexmf directory. However if I put it
> into another directory, somewhere in mydocuments (and refresh the
> filename database), LaTeX cannot see the class file.
>
> What do I do wrong?

A VFAQ (especially of late in the MiKTeX list).

The filename database (assuming your using, say, MiKTeX) is limited to the
trees it knows about and certainly does not save your entire disk.  Thus,
putting a file somewhere other than the trees of which your LaTeX system has
already been informed will effectively hide them.

MiKTeX, for example, allows the addition of any number of extra trees (e.g.
c:\mytexfm) but you should still follow the standard tex directory strucure
and put cls and sty file somewhere under c:\mytexfm\tex\latex.

Robin Fairbairns' FAQ, linked at the bottom of this (and indeed any)
posting, does give some fairly comprehensive, succinct and useful
information on the subject.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe