[texhax] does TexLive mess with hard drive or any other part of computer?

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Tue Jan 10 01:02:05 CET 2006

Thanks for the info.

Reason I ask is I am wondering whether my kids could use the TexLive DVD
on computers at school.  They are Windows boxes, win2000 I think, with
DVD drives.  School would frown on any software that altered their
configuration, of course.

I'm not sure, but I think each child has a directory on the network
server in which to store their data files:  H:\susie, or whatever.  Do
you think that TexLive could use that directory for the .fmt files, etc?
  Or does it have to be the C:\ that is the physical hard drive in the
particular computer?  And are those files executables that could be
potentially harmful?

I will, of course, discuss this with the computer people at school.
Simplest solution, I know, is to persuade them to install Tex
network-wide.  No reason not to install it, except fear of the unknown
and institutional inertia.

Thanks.

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]