[texhax] Images

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 6 19:16:28 CET 2006

Nick,

plain latex understands bmp and eps (at least)

pdflatex understands png and pdf (and also jpeg and tif).

[These are probably simplistic statements, but I think will get you a
couple steps nearer your goal.]

My advice is to convert your bmp's (and any other bitmapped format) into
png's (I work mostly in Linux, but the windows world has irfanview,
which is a very good, free image viewer and converter that will do the
job. Find it at www.irfanview.com)

If you have eps figures, you can either convert them into pdf figures
using ghostview or add a \usepackage{epstopdf} to your document preamble
which will do this on the fly. There is probably a way to run epstopdf
directly on the images to do the conversion once and save the resulting
pdf - which is what I do on my linux box.

You can keep both versions of a figure in the same directory and use

\includegraphics{figure}   % NOTE: no .bmp, .eps, etc.

plain latex will find figure.bmp or figure.eps (you can control the
order if you need to) while pdflatex will find figure.png or figure.pdf.
This can be useful if, like me, you like to use pdflatex but you need to
supply the latex source to someone who uses plain latex. For more info,
read the graphicx documentation.

Hope this helps.
Steve

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:25 -0500, Nick Bennett wrote:
> I am new to using pictures in LaTex.  I am using winshell and have bmp
> images that I want to put in.  When I run the pdftex the file shows up
> in Adobe, but with no pictures.  Also, what programs may I use to put
> images into eps form??
>

> Nick

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs