[texhax] switching to twocolumn, twopage after the title page

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCHM) rjf2 at cdc.gov
Mon Aug 21 17:40:50 CEST 2006

> From: "Jason Dusek" <jason.dusek at gmail.com>
> I'm sure this is a common query - but I haven't come across
> it in the tutorials or on google. Maybe someone here can
> point me in the right direction?
>
> I'd like to write an article with the title, abstract and
> table of contents on the first page, centered. Then I want
> the second page and all following pages in twocolumn, twopage
> layout. How do I do that?

The abstract environment centers its paragraphs on the page
in article class.

getting the table of contents centered requires minipage:
\hfill provides the even spacing on both sides of the box

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\begin{abstract}
\ldots
\end{abstract}

\hspace{0pt}%strut
\hfill%
\begin{minipage}{.8\textwidth}%review abstract to get same width
\tableofcontents
\end{minipage}
\hfill%
\hspace{0pt}%strut

\newpage\twocolumn

Ron Fehd  the macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov