[texhax] Hebrew TeX

Joshua Grauman jnfo at grauman.com
Wed Aug 2 20:38:12 CEST 2006

I'm new to TeX and have a few questions about getting Hebrew to work.

I've been doing research/testing and these are the things I need to work. I'd
appreciate help to find out what is the easiest way to get a TeX system that
supports all of these.

1) Hebrew support (right to left, correct pagination, etc.)
2) Unicode/UTF-8
3) True Type Fonts (I would like to use SIL's Ezra unicode Hebrew font,
    but am open to other good, free unicode fonts)
4) Memoir class (I need paragraph footnotes)

I currently have teTeX 3.0 which came with my Slackware 10.2 distribution.
However, I don't believe babel in it has Hebrew support, and I can't seem to
get Hebrew support added...

I'm considering trying the TeX Live DVD. I've been researching a lot and have
been barking up a lot of wrong trees. Could anyone give me some pointers about
what would be the easiest way to do this.

What classes? or packages? I need and how to install them if needed and how to
include them in the .tex file would also be great. Thank you so much.

Josh

P.S. Sorry if this is a dup, I wasn't subscribed to the list, so I don't think
it went through.