[texhax] test for LaTeX typist ?

Michael Doob mdoob at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Wed Apr 26 15:41:58 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 1:37 am, Dana Murray wrote:

> The secretary in our Math dept is leaving us.  She learned LaTeX very
> quickly and became quite proficient.  Ad now we have to replace her :-(
>
> Can anyone suggest a test, or an approach that we can follow, to
> determine whether an applicant for the job has the potential to become
> competent in LaTeX, roughy at the level of undergraduate math exam
> papers.
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Any typing test can be used to see if the mimumum skill level is present.
The criterion I always looked for when hiring was "computer enthusiasm".
If it is there, it's pretty easy to tease out during the interview.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2