[texhax] rotation of PDF pages

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Sun Apr 16 08:16:56 CEST 2006

Folks:

I have noticed recently that the Adobe Reader will decide to rotate
some pages 90 degrees.  I don't want it to ever do this.  In one case
I discovered the source.  I had a PostScript figure contining the
command '90 rotate'.  I fiddled with it and discovered that I could
put in '45 rotate 45 rotate' which, of course does not alter the
figure, but is sufficient to fool the Adobe Reader into not rotating
the page ...

But this is not the only source of the problem.  Sometimes it seems to
be from drawing material outside the visible area.  Other times it is
entirely mysterious.

When I use PowerDot this sometimes happens and it of course would
wreck a slide show to have the slide turned sideways!

Does anyone know how to prevent Adobe Reader from doing this?  I've
sent emails to Adobe but they are totally non-responsive.

Thanks,

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)