[texhax] Windows files questions - getting right things to happen with file extensions

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Sep 27 14:28:02 CEST 2005

Maybe simpler:

At 16:05 26.09.05, David C. Walden wrote:
>Some thoughts on Q1 (although I have never used Win 2000).
>Open Win Explorer on some directory.  Click on Folder Options
>under the Tools menu.   Click the File Types tab.
>Look in the list of registered extensions to see if
>.tex is already there.  I found it at the top of my list,
>not alphabetically.  If so, click Change.
>If not, click New and fill in .tex.  In either
>case, you have to know the location of the .exe file
>for WinEdt, e.g., something like
>c:/Program Files/WinTeam/WinEdt/winedt.exe
>
>At 07:35 AM 9/26/2005, you wrote:
>>
>>I am using a  Windows 2000 machine, with WinEdt, LaTeX, SAS and
>>Ghostview on it
>>
>>I have two questions
>>1.  When I try to open  a .tex file from Windows explorer, it doesn't
>>start WinEdt, it starts Ghostview.  Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>2.  .log files which are written from LaTeX are described as SAS log
>>files.  Is there a way to distinguish these?

Windows assigns one application to each file name extension
(if at all). Concerning Q2, I don't see a general solution.

By clicking _once_ right-button on the icon of a file and _then_
_left-button_ together with the "Upper" key, you get a choice on
which application should open the file. You can check whether
your choice should be generalized for the future -- i.e., to all files
with the same name extension -- or should only apply to that
particular file. Through "generalized" you can move all .tex files
from the Ghostview domain to the WinEdt domain (so-to-say).

Lucky TeXing,
Uwe.