[texhax] \@startsection

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Oct 21 00:22:34 CEST 2005

At 13:52 15.08.05, Michael Barr wrote:
>I am involved in a project to reprint a book that was published 40 years
>ago.  The authors had numbered sections, as well as theorems, etc.
>numbered in the same sequence as the sections (so Section 7.1, then
>Theorem 7.2, then Section 7.3, etc.).  I wanted to make odd page headers
>with the section number of the last actual named section.  I finally did
>this by defining \@varstartsection that did what \@startsection did but
>without defining \sectionmark.  The other problem is getting the page
>headers correct for the unnumbered chapters References and Index, which I
>finally sorted out by hand.  There the problem is that one parameter (*),
>does three logically separate things: it doesn't number the section, it
>doesn't add it to the contents, and it doesn't set the \sectionmark.  If
>you want to do only one or two of things you are in trouble.  Is there a
>better set of sectioning commands?  I could not find anything on CTAN that
>looked like it did it.

I just searched my TeXhax mailbox and found this, sorry, late.
Nobody seems to have answered -- or privately, or on comp.text.tex?
Have you tried Peter Wilson's memoir class?

Or simply (this may save one from studying another manual):
You can simply define your own sectioning commands
using LaTeX's 1. \addcontentsline
2. \pagestyle{myheadings} together with \markboth and
\markright. (Well, this may have been the way that you
described.)

Best,
   Uwe Lueck.