[texhax] TeX to LaTeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Oct 4 23:23:27 CEST 2005

Hi Dick,

This is a fine place to ask the question.

    Does such a converter exist,

I am not aware of anything that even tries to convert plain to latex.
I'll be curious to know if anyone else does.

The problem is that they are really fundamentally different (except for
both using \'s and {}'s :).  Plain has none of the structured concepts
(article, document, section, enumerated list, ...) which latex does.

    or is there a list of required
    conversions that I can do myself?

I don't think there's any simple list of 1:1 conversions, for the
reasons above.  Math mode stuff will probably mostly work unchanged; the
main changes will likely be to introduce LaTeX \section and other text
commands.

You may find the "Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX"
(among other documents and books) useful in giving you a quick overview
of LaTeX features.
http://tug.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/

Hope this helps,
karl