[texhax] OzTex 3.1 programming problem, help!

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Sat Nov 5 20:52:42 CET 2005

paul,

                Trying to get to grips with Latex and I am   using  'OzTex
    3.1' , on a old macintosh ( a performa).

    I am writing The Latex programme after opening ' Alpha 7.1 f '. and the
    Typesetting using OzTex.

    According to my Latex Manual  it should be possible, after creating
    a DVI file, to create a pdf file. the programme is;

    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
    />
    \documentclass{article}
    \begin{document}
    \title{Time Dependent Quadratic Hamiltonians, SU(1,1), SU(2),
    SU(2,1) and SU(3)}
    \section{Introduction}
    the Paul trap \cite{pau}, ultra-short laser
    \begin{thebibliography}{abc}
    \bibitem{pau}W.Paul, Rev.Mod.Phys.{\bf 62}(1990) 531
    \end{thebibliography}
    \end{document}

    But I receive the following message:
    LaTex warning; Citation 'pau' is undefined.
    Any ideas about what I am doing which is wrong.

the warning message you're getting has nothing to
do with the system you're running it on.  it's a
consequence of how latex itself works.

if you have a bibliography with cited items, the
information for what is cited and what's in the
bibliography is put into the .aux file on the first
run through latex.  since the bibliography comes
after the cite, it's not known at the cite time.
in a second run through latex, the .aux file is
read in first, so the information about the bibitem
will be known when the cite occurs.

so all you have to do is run latex a second time.
							-- bb