[texhax] TexLive 6b

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 28 00:14:20 CEST 2005

Hello Patric,

On 27/03/2005, at 2:43 AM, Patric Glöde wrote:

> Dear support,
>
> I just wanted to compile a TeX-file with Dante's TeXLive 6b system.
> The file has been compiled (without problems) with another TeX system
> before. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you which TeX system this was. In
> any case, my TeXLive 6b is not able to compile the file. I guess the
> file requires packages not included in Dante's TeXLive 6b. As I am not
> a professional with LaTeX I am not able to check this. I have attached
> the relevant files to this email.

First of all, let me say that you seem to have just concatenated
together all the files in your directory as part of the email message.
This is not overly helpful, as there is no indication of where
files start and finish, or what are the filenames.

Perhaps your email software just includes text files as part
of the message, rather than as a MIME attachment.
In cases like this, that really is not helpful.
Look at what options are available to you, when adding attachments.

Also, there seems to be some duplication of content;
e.g. in the Bibliography data, and the main document
is included twice --- or are there two similar versions?

>  You would do me a great favour to tell me what is going wrong, where
> I could download the missing packages, and to which folders I have to
> copy them so that TeX can work with them.

Something has gone wrong on loading the  hyperref  driver.
Here is a snippet from your .log file, where things start
to go awry.

>> *hyperref using driver hpdftex*
>> (c:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def
>> File: hpdftex.def 2001/05/26 v6.71g Hyperref driver for pdfTeX
>>

>> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.
>>
>> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.286 \pdfoutput=
>>                  1
>> ? \BOOKMARK [1][-]{section.1}{Introduction}{}
>> \BOOKMARK [1][-]{section.2}{Structural approaches}{}
>> \BOOKMARK [2][-]{subsection.2.1}{SCP tests}{section.2}
>> \BOOKMARK [2][-]{subsection.2.2}{A Cournot Model}{section.2}

This kind of information is supposed to be written into
a file with extension  .out  for later reading and composing
the bookmarks.

Was it really written to the console at this point ?

If so, then perhaps you are trying to process this document
while the current directory is not writable; e.g.
on a locked disk such as a CD, or write-protected USB key.

If not, and this is just a result of your concatenation of
the files, then we need to look deeper at this problem;
namely at this:

> *hyperref using driver hpdftex*
> (c:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def
> File: hpdftex.def 2001/05/26 v6.71g Hyperref driver for pdfTeX

BTW,
I had no such trouble at all in processing your file
(apart from repeated entries in the bibliography database
and one undefined reference (cv) ).

Below I've attached a PDF of the output the I get.

My version of  hyperref.sty  is more recent.
The  hpdftex  driver is dated as follows:

    \ProvidesFile{hpdftex.def}
      [2003/11/30 v6.74m
      Hyperref driver for pdfTeX]

You can get this from CTAN sites.

BTW, TeXLive 6b is rather old now.
There are several later versions of TeXLive, released each
year:  2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 is on the way.