[texhax] Re: writing and printing math problems

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jun 20 01:34:25 CEST 2005

    Everytime I open a math book, I ask myself, what type of software do
    they use to write these all problems and equations with?

TeX is a typesetting program, one of whose strengths has always been
handling math.  It will likely take a little time to get familiar with
it, but it can certainly do a good job.

    I am looking for Macintosh software to purchase or to download, to
    write my own math problems and equations with? The type you find in
    every math book.

If you have MacOSX, I suggest trying http://www.rna.nl/tex.html.  For
links to additional intro resources, see http://tug.org/begin.html.

Once you have TeX installed and working, there are packages specifically
for handling exercises & answers (possibly even interactively via PDF or
JavaScript, although that can get complex).  Here is one of the simpler
ones:
  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/exercise.html

Down the road, if that doesn't suit, for links to some of the others, go
to http://tug.org/ctan.html, put
  exercise  in the second input box, and click "Search Catalogue".
(Sorry, I can't give a direct url right now for some reason.)

Hope this helps,
Karl