[texhax] Multiple references in the form (Author1, 1986; Author2, 1987)

Philip Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at email.it
Thu Jun 16 01:40:33 CEST 2005

> I would like to know how to use bibtex to cite
> multiple references under same citation. For example I
> want my refernce no 55 to look like
>
> 55. G. Kresse and J. Hafner, Phys. Rev. B 47, 558
> (1993); 49, 14251 (1994); G. Kresse and J.
> Furthmüller, Comput. Mater. Sci. 6, 15 (1996); Phys.
> Rev. B 55, 11169 (1996).
>
> As you can notice, the multiple references are
> separated by a semicolon. anyhelp is very much
> appreciated.

This is not easy - or at least I know of no easy solution although I seem to
vaguely remember one of the academic style packages doing something along
these lines.

I do personally have a solution but it requires defining additional fields
in the bib file and new bst's to handle them.  So some work is involved.  If
you're really interested I can send you what I use, but the output format
may not be exactly as you would wish and, as mentioned, you would need to
make extra bib files with additional entries.  Moreover, the standard BibTeX
handling of cross-references has to be overridden and that might alter your
output in an unacceptable way.

Having said that, if there were general interest I might find time to make
up some general package or at least notes on how one might go about solving
such a problem.

Cordialmente,  Phil Ratcliffe

 Sponsor:
 Novità per telefonare risparmiando: Email.it Phone Card, clicca e scopri i vantaggi
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2689&d=16-6