[texhax] troubleshooting latex'ing using a "new" class file

Josh Sheldon jsheldon at intlpress.com
Wed Jun 8 16:38:38 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I adapted the class file used for an AMS journal to be used for one of the
journals we publish (specifically ATMP).

To help our authors, I also put together a sample .tex file that has
placeholders to indicate the fields we need to have included in articles
formatted for our journal.

After I replace those placeholders, I have no problem "latexing" the sample
article using the class file I "wrote." (Using TexLive on my WinXP machine,
as run automatically when given the command by WinEdt).

However, one of our authors has been trying to use the new class file, and
has been running into problems.

Specifically, he gets the following output:

>latex atmp

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5) (./atmp.tex LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, n ohyphenation, loaded.

(./atmp.cls

Document Class: atmp 1998/11/10

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsgen.sty)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty

For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amstext.sty)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsbsy.sty)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsopn.sty))

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/umsa.fd)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amsfonts.sty)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amscls/amsthm.sty)

! Missing = inserted for \ifdim.

<to be read again>

                   &

l.1409 \calclayout

                   % initialize

?

The corresponding log from my machine is:

This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2) (format=latex 2005.4.28)
8 JUN 2005 09:35

entering extended mode

 file:line:error style messages enabled.

 %&-line parsing enabled.

 (c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)

**atmp_sample_tex_file_PROCESS.tex

(./atmp_sample_tex_file_PROCESS.tex

LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>

Babel <v3.7j> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
ba

sque, czech, slovak, german, ngerman, danish, spanish, catalan, finnish,
french

, ukenglish, greek, croatian, hungarian, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch,
norw

egian, polish, portuguese, russian, ukrainian, serbocroat, swedish, loaded.

(./atmp.cls

Document Class: atmp 1998/11/10

\c at secondpage=\count79

\c at gfirstpage=\count80

\c at glastpage=\count81

\linespacing=\dimen102

\normalparindent=\dimen103

\normaltopskip=\skip41

(c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/amslatex/amsgen.sty

File: amsgen.sty 1999/11/30 v2.0

\@emptytoks=\toks14

\ex@=\dimen104

)

<etc...>

As I'm a newbie to this, could the difference in Web2c version between TeX,
Version 3.14159 and e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 account for this user's
problems?

Thanks so much for your help!

Josh Sheldon

General Manager