[texhax] Citations in the margin and hyperref

Christoph Schiller cs at motionmountain.net
Sun Jul 31 00:39:23 CEST 2005

Ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like to ask a tricky question. (It is also posted on
comp.text.tex, but I received no answer so far.)
Bibliographic references in a freely downloadable
physics book I am writing look like

"\cite{#1}"  "="  "\marginpar{Ref. #1}"
(in quotes because this is meant symbolically)

I implemented this with the hack:
\renewcommand{\@cite}[2]{\marg inpar{Ref. #1}\if at tempswa{, #2}\else\fi}
(In fact, there is a bit more, but this is not important here)

This is surely not as intended, but I have not yet found a better way.
It works with hyperref, which is the main issue. The disadvantage is
that
the four characters "Ref." are not made into a coloured link with
hyperref.

Is there a better way to do this? Can one put the "Ref. nr" in
the margin, and have it *all* coloured and made into a link by hyperref?

It seems to me that varioref and the similar packages from the latex
comanion (2nd edition) do not support this; on the
other hand, there must be more people who want such a feature.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards

         Christoph Schiller

P.S. The present limitations of the hyperrefs that I use can be seen
on the downloadable pdf found at  http://www.motionmountain.net.
I'd like to use the better solution in the upcoming revsion of the
text.