[texhax] Definitions as Figures

Johan Glimming glimming at kth.se
Wed Feb 23 13:05:12 CET 2005

I would like to throw you another question, namely I would like to have
mathematical definitions in frames with a caption below them. So I have
started to use \fbox, minipage and the figure environment.

However, this soon gets very clumsy. I would prefer to have a special
maths definition environment called boxdfn or similar which is numbered
like my theorem environments, and which has a box like this

    _____________________________
   | a=b                         |
   | c=d                         |
   |_____________________________|
   Definition 1.2: Riemann's hypothesis

Of course it would be even nicer if one, when preferred had:

   | a=b        |     c=d        |
   Definition 1.3: Cantor's hypothesis

I.e. the chance of having multiple columns.

It seems that some books uses this or similar approach for chunky
definitions, so either it is available as some LaTeX macro already or
it would be a useful addition to the LaTeX community.

Johan Glimming.