[texhax] Cross-refs across separate books

Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it
Fri Feb 18 08:11:15 CET 2005

Hi,

I am writing two separate collections of notes for two related courses I
am teaching. I am using book.cls for both of them, and each of them
obviously has its own sectioning and equation numbering.

However, since the two works frequently make reference to each other, I
would like to cross-reference \label's defined in one LaTeX file within
the other LaTeX file, via usual \ref's.

I guess I can do that by including file1.aux in file2.tex (and vice-versa)
at an appropriate point, and be careful with multiply defined labels and
other possible conflicts. I should also run latex on each file a
sufficient number of times, in order to achieve consistency among all
labels.

My question is therefore: how can I include an aux file coming from
another latex file? Will that conflict with the aux file normally
produced?

Can you recommend any better procedure?

Thank you in advance.

Giuseppe.