[texhax] Running heads that aren't properly justified

Mark S Cipolone mscipolone at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 22:17:02 CET 2005

[I posted this question to comp.text.tex; is there
anyone here who can answer it or who can forward it to
another forum?]

I am working on a paper whose style sets up running
heads using the following commands:

\def\ps at headings{%
      \let\@oddfoot\@empty\let\@evenfoot\@empty

\def\@evenhead{{\rule[-5pt]{\textwidth}{1pt}}\hspace*{-\textwidth}\sffamily\thepage\hfil\leftmark}%

\def\@oddhead{{\rule[-5pt]{\textwidth}{1pt}}\hspace*{-\textwidth}\sffamily{\rightmark}\hfil\thepage}%
      \let\@mkboth\markboth
    \def\chaptermark##1{%
      \markboth {{%%%%%was \MakeUppercase
        \ifnum \c at secnumdepth >\m at ne
          \if at mainmatter
            \@chapapp\ \thechapter. \ %
          \fi
        \fi
        ##1}}{}}%
    \def\sectionmark##1{%
      \markright {{%%%%%was \MakeUppercase
        \ifnum \c at secnumdepth >\z@
          \thesection. \ %
        \fi
        ##1}}}}

In other words, all pages have a rule at the top;
even-numbered pages have the page number on the left
and the chapter title on the right; and odd-numbered
pages have the section title on the left and the page
number on the right.

My problem is that the text placed on the right edge
of the running head does not come out flush with the
right margin; i.e., there is a small amount of space
between the rightmost character of the text and the
right margin.  The amount of space seems to vary
depending on the length of the text on the left edge
of the running head.  Does anyone know what could be
causing this?

--
MSC