[texhax] bib file in another directory

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:01:01 CET 2005

Thanks for the advice, although it's not quite what I was after.
Perhaps what I want to do is not possible.

In Windows, I have a directory called C:\DATA.  Inside here I usually
try to put all user-created data.  This includes bib files. With this
file structure, I can back up all my data easily by backing up that one
directory. Putting one giant .bib file, or separate topical bib files,
in localtexmf would make it not as easy.

Within C:\DATA, I have separate topical directories for each project:
C:\DATA\projectA, C:\DATA\projectB.  [Sorry if I'm boring everyone.]  In
each of those I have referencesA.bib, referencesB.bib, respectively.

Each project may entail several subprojects (usually manuscripts) and
their associated files, which I like to keep sorted into directories,
like this:  C:\DATA\projectA\journalX,  C:\DATA\projectA\journalY.

I want to keep the bib file for project A in \projectA, but be able to
use it for .tex files in each of the subdirectories.

I thought it might work if I could write something like
\bibliography{C:\DATA\projectA\refencesA}, with the right combination of
single quotes, double quotes, spaces, backslashes, and slashes.  But I
haven't gotten it right yet.

Can anyone explain how to set BIBINPUTS environment variable in Win98?

I'll give the Windows shortcut method a try.

Thanks.
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]