[texhax] \@startsection

Michael Barr mbarr at math.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 15 13:52:25 CEST 2005

I am involved in a project to reprint a book that was published 40 years
ago.  The authors had numbered sections, as well as theorems, etc.
numbered in the same sequence as the sections (so Section 7.1, then
Theorem 7.2, then Section 7.3, etc.).  I wanted to make odd page headers
with the section number of the last actual named section.  I finally did
this by defining \@varstartsection that did what \@startsection did but
without defining \sectionmark.  The other problem is getting the page
headers correct for the unnumbered chapters References and Index, which I
finally sorted out by hand.  There the problem is that one parameter (*),
does three logically separate things: it doesn't number the section, it
doesn't add it to the contents, and it doesn't set the \sectionmark.  If
you want to do only one or two of things you are in trouble.  Is there a
better set of sectioning commands?  I could not find anything on CTAN that
looked like it did it.

Michael Barr