[texhax] unicode

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 5 18:37:12 CEST 2005

    I'm trying to expand my LaTeX-Package

I see.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any truly reliable/portable way of
writing a real NUL byte into an output file.  Although you can do it
with the current version of web2c-based TeX by specifying the -8bit
option, or using an appropriate TCX file, these facilities are not
available in older versions and/or other variants, and in any case
cannot be controlled from TeX -- they are a function of how the system
was installed.  I doubt you want to make your users run "latex -8bit" to
use your package, etc.

There is no TeX-level way to say "don't use ^^ notation".  That is, in
base TeX -- I believe there are ways to do it in various extensions, but
again, I don't know that that will help you.

Although, on the other hand, since you are just working around an
acrobat bug, maybe the people who run into that bug wouldn't mind having
to run latex in a special way.

Sorry.

    The PDF-Spec says that name strings must be Unicode
    formatted (actually Big Endian UTF16).

Won't allow UTF-8?  Too bad.  Then the problem would go away ...

Best,
Karl