[texhax] crossreference in bibtex

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Aug 2 14:14:13 CEST 2005

I'm confused by the behavior of bibtex with respect to a
crossreference entry.  This behavior seems to have started recently
(ie, it was accepting things normally before).
I've attached my .bib file
and here is the calculus console response to a typeset bibtex
command (I'm using TeXShop):

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.4)
The top-level auxiliary file: Calculus.aux
The style file: plain.bst
Database file #1: calculus.bib
A bad cross reference---entry "Newton:Principia"
refers to entry "Cohen", which doesn't exist
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "Cohen"
Warning--empty publisher in Newton:Principia
Warning--empty year in Newton:Principia
(There was 1 error message)

What is going on?  I've checked to see if there are any parenthesis
errors in the .bib  file, and I find none.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155