[texhax] question about handing sentences

Konstantin Karapetyan kotya at photonica.ru
Wed Apr 20 07:00:42 CEST 2005

> Dear everyone,

> I am preparing my thesis using latex. I have have multiple
> "orphans" ("hanging words or sentences") at the tops of several
> pages. My thesis coordinator doesn't like that. He suggests me to
> fix them by either moving a sentence fragment to
> the bottom of the previous page, or add an extra
> line of text to the top of the next page to have at least two
> lines of text. But I don't know how to do that.

> Who could help about that?
Google usually can :)

Googling for "LaTeX page break" returns the first link to
www.personal.ceu.hu/tex/breaking.htm
where you find the commands \pagebreak and \nopagebreak
and the last link at the first results page
www.ichimusai.org/latex/
provides you with a tip “Getting rid of orphans and widowed words”.

Try this, and if it doesn't help send a short example (tex and dvi or
pdf attached).

Happy TeXing!

Konstantin.