[texhax] Any PPCHTeX users out there?

romeomedina at libero.it romeomedina at libero.it
Sat Apr 16 14:05:36 CEST 2005

Rodolfo wrote:

> I subscribed to both PPCHTeX and Tetex mailing lists to ask for help,
> but they seem to be not active.
>
> I freshly installed tetex-src-3.0.tar.gz in my Mandrakelinux 10.1
> Community box,
> in order to run PPCHTeX
> to type chemical structure formulas.
> Now, if I run TeX (onto a file containing PPCHTeX pictures)
> from within the directory /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> where the executable file `tex' is present, everything goes fine;
> instead, if I run TeX from my home directory, I get the message:
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [text input levels=15].
>
> Can anyone explain these two different behaviours and suggest how to work
the problem out?

Karl Berry wrote:

> Obvious question, but are you running the same tex binary in both cases?
> Did you set PATH to include the directory with that `tex' before others?

Yes, I think so. In fact, I created a symbolic link from the
`/home/rodolfo/bin' directory to the file
`/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/tex',
this way:

[rodolfo at localhost rodolfo]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/rodolfo/bin

$ export
PATH="/home/rodolfo/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games"

$ mkdir /home/rodolfo/bin
$ cd /home/rodolfo/bin
$ ln -s /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/tex tex

. Then I did: `$ tex', and this was the output:

[rodolfo at localhost rodolfo]$ tex
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)

, which is the same output I get if I do: `# ./tex'
from within the directory `/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu':

[root at localhost i686-pc-linux-gnu]# ./tex
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)

. No other version of TeX is present on my machine.

Karl Berry:

> Any indication as to what files it is reading?
> The log file might be helpful, for a start.

The file is a very simple trial one, I called ppchtex.tex,
with some PPCHTeX commands in it, which is perfectly processed by TeX if I do:
`# ./tex /home/rodolfo/ppchtex' from `/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu'.
The log file can't help me, I'm attaching it.

Thanks indeed for your help!,
Rodolfo

6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it