[texhax] Landscape orientation with plain TeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 15:37:32 CEST 2004

> I want to create a single page document in landscape orientation.
> Is it possible to do it, and how, with plain TeX format?
> If understand well, both the rotating and the lscape package,
> recommended by the UK TUG's faq,
> are written for LaTeX format. Is it true?

correct, though lscape could (i expect) be used with plain, if you
also load the plain version of the latex graphics package.

however, this may not be the best way forward.  lscape's code does

  \clearpage % i.e., \vfill\eject
  <set page dimensions for landscape>
  <set up output routine to rotate \box255 by 90 degrees>

at the start, and

  \clearpage
  <restore output routine>
  <restore page dimensions>

these are strightforward enough ideas, but it would take me some time
to work them out since i don't program the plain output routine much
(if at all).  hope it helps, anyway.