[texhax] hyphenation ...

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 18:32:49 CET 2004

> You can set \pretolerance=10000 (this also disables hyhpenation without
> needing the above settings) but you may end up with many underfull lines
> which can look rather ugly.  It might look better than those overfull lines,
> though.
>
> [By the way, this isn't mentioned in FAQ-hyphoff.html if anyone cares...]

indeed.  there was some discussion (probably on c.t.t), in the period
running up to me writing hyphoff, which had me thinking that
\pretolerance=\infty isn't a good solution.  however, i can't now
remember what the reasoning was...

so i go to google groups.  look at

http://www.google.com/groups?q=%5Cpretolerance+hyphenation+group:comp.text.tex&hl=en&lr=&selm=17SEP199618292218%40reg.triumf.ca&rnum=1

there donald arseneau highlights the words ("essentially always") in
the texbook that were niggling at me when i was trying to recall the
problem with this use of \pretolerance.

that post has a paragraph with \pretolerance=10000 and lots of nice
hyphenation.

it would be nice to explain why these things aren't the answer, in the
faq, but it's confusing enough already.  maybe one day, "footnotes to
the faq" ...