[texhax] Recommended litterature on TeX and LaTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Nov 13 00:06:27 CET 2004

>>>>> "William" == William F Adams <wadams at atlis.com> writes:

  > http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-free-type.html
  > http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-e-tex.html

William, thanks for providing this, it's really great.

Stefan, it's difficult to recommend a book for you because you are
neither a beginner nor someone who already knows everything.

My suggestion is to look at the texmf/doc directory first. If you are
using teTeX or TeXLive, you certainly have a program called texdoctk.
Try it.

If you decided to use LaTeX, it's better not to read the TeXbook.  TeX
and LaTeX are two different things.

I think that almost all the information you need is already on your
system (in texmf/doc).  If you want to buy a book about LaTeX, I
recommend "The LaTeX Companion", ***second*** edition.  It's not less
expensive than the books you mentioned, but I can assure that it's
worth the money.

But make sure that it is the second edition.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25