[texhax] November 2004 TUG news: election, software, TUGboat, conferences

tug-news at tug.org tug-news at tug.org
Thu Nov 11 19:59:34 CET 2004

Dear TeX users,

The latest news from TUG:

- 2005 is an election year for TUG.  If you are interested in running
  for TUG president or serving on the TUG board, the deadline for
  nominations is February 1, 2005.  For forms and information:
http://tug.org/election/

- Software:
  . We expect production on TeX Live 2004 + CTAN 2004 to start within a
    week or two, with delivery to follow.  We plan to again collaborate
    with Dante and other user groups on the production, to minimize cost.

  . In this release, we will also include ProTeXt, an enhanced MiKTeX
    distribution for Windows, with extra tools and easier installation.
    More information and test downloads:
  http://tug.org/protext/

  . In other software news, TUG has arranged for members to get a discount
    on WinEdt registrations (following Dante and NTG, which have provided
    this for years).  WinEdt is a well-regarded shareware editor for
    Windows, with many special features for (La)TeX documents.
  http://tug.org/winedt/

- TUGboat 24(2) will ship in a few days to TUG members for 2003.  If you
  were not a member then, you can order printed copies through the TUG
  store (http://tug.org/store/).  It will also be available online after
  the printed issue has been received by members.

- Upcoming TeX conferences:
  . EuroTeX 2005 will take place in Pont-a-Mousson, France, from
    March 7-11, 2005, commemorating the 16th anniversary of the
    founding of both Dante and GUTenberg.
  http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/eurotex2005/

  . Practical TeX 2005 will take place in Chapel Hill, North Carolina,
    from June 14-17, 2005.  The keynote speaker will be Nelson Beebe.
    The deadline for proposals is March 1, 2005, but the sooner the better!
  http://tug.org/practicaltex2005/

  . TUG 2005 will take place in Wuhan, China, from August 23-25, 2005,
    sponsored by TUG and CTUG (the Chinese TeX User Group).
    If you would like to apply for financial support to attend TUG 2005,
    please see http://tug.org/bursary/ -- deadline is March 25, 2005.
  http://tug.org/tug2005/

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us (tug-news at tug.org) with
questions, suggestions, or information.

Sincerely,
Karl Berry (president) on behalf of the TUG board
http://tug.org/