[texhax] Re: Some questions about plain TeX and LaTeX

Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it
Thu Nov 4 14:33:13 CET 2004

Francisco,

I sometimes use accented characters in LaTeX (at least in Italian; all
accented vowels should work like in Spanish, I guess the \~n should work
as well).

I have to start my latex source file by:

\documentclass[12pt]{article} % or whatever ...
\usepackage[italian]{babel} % that's for the hyphenation etc, not for the accents
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} % This is the all important line

You may have to try other options, rather than "latin1", but inputenc is
the package you actually need.

Hasta pronto,

Giuseppe.