[texhax] limit lines per page for figures

Pavel Minev Penev pavpen at berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 29 04:10:51 CEST 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:37:22AM -0500, Joel Coltoff wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the following situation.
> There is no urgent need but I'm still curious how to deal with this.
> My daughter's third grade class is doing some reports and they must
> be done in Word. I'd like to know how to do this in latex. I've found
> some bits and pieces but can't put it all together. It's a bit
> beyond my current skills. They have a requirement that on pages with
> pictures there can be no more than 8 lines of text. If a paragraph gets
> interrupted then so be it. Of course the last line should be right
> justified and the continuation should not be indented. You can bend the
> rules for single line widows/orphans which may simplify the task.

If I suppose that you do not want to put more than one "picture" per
page, then a simplistic solution that comes to mind is to define a
command similar to the one you use for inclustion of "pictures" (or
redefine it), so that it leaves no more than eight lines of vertical
space on the page.

Something like (UNTESTETED!):

\usepackage{calc}
\usepackage{ifthen}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\newsavebox\MyFigBox
\newlength\MyMinFigHeight
\setlength{\MyMinFigHeight}{\paperheight - 8\baselineskip}

% Like \includefigure:
\newcommand\myincludefigure[2][]{%
	\savebox{\MyFigBox}{\includegraphics[#1]{#2}}%
	\ifthenelse{%
		\lengthtest{%
			\heightof{\usebox{\MyFigBox}}}%
			<%
			\MyMinFigHeight%
		}%
	}{%
		\vspace{%
			\real{0.5}*%
			{ \MyMinFigHeight - \heightof{\usebox{\MyFigBox}} }%
		}%
		\usebox{\MyFigBox}%
}

> Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, no insights from me ...

Happy,
--
Pav

http://www.againsttcpa.com/  ,.,
                           ,``:'',
                           {o ! o}
Gain your human right of   ] -+- [  My GPG/PGP key is now available at
privacy: use cryptography!  \ ! /   x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371.
                             `-'
`shell$ gpg --keyserver x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371 --recv-key 164C028F`