[texhax] Mar 2004 TUG news: TeX conferences, TUGboat, development fund

tug-news at tug.org tug-news at tug.org
Thu Mar 25 20:19:40 CET 2004

Dear TeX users,

First, conference news items:

- Practical TeX 2004 will take place in San Francisco, California, from
  July 19-22.  Deadline for presentation proposals is April 1 (no
  fooling :); please send abstracts to conferences at tug.org.  Deadline
  for early registration discount is April 19.
  http://tug.org/practicaltex2004/program.html has a list of topics and
  a preliminary list of participants, and the conference home page is
  http://tug.org/practicaltex2004.

- BachoTeX 2004 will take place in Bachotek, Poland, from April 30 to
  May 3.  http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2004/en.

- TUG 2004 will take place in Xanthi, Greece, from August 30-September 3.
  You can now see the list of accepted papers and register for the
  conference online.  http://tug.org/tug2004.

  If you would like to apply for financial support to attend TUG 2004,
  please see http://tug.org/bursary/ for information
  on how and where to apply.

TUGboat news:

- TUGboat 23(3/4) was shipped recently to TUG members for 2002.  If you
  were not a member then, you can order printed copies through the TUG
  store (http://tug.org/store) or peruse it online:
  http://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents23-3-4.html.

- We're currently working on the TUG 2003 proceedings and the TUG 2004
  preproceedings, as well as the next regular issue.  We hope they'll go
  to press in the not-impossibly-distant future.

- The long-moribund project of making old issues of TUGboat available
  online is finally making progress, primarily thanks to our executive
  director, Robin Laakso, who has waded through swamps of scanner bugs,
  ignorant support techs, and broken PDF conversions.  The first two
  issues are online now, linked through
  http://tug.org/TUGboat/contents.html, with more to come.

TeX Development Fund:

TUG invites applications for TeX Development Fund grants for the year
2004. The TeX Development Fund was created by TUG to aid growth of
TeX-related technical projects; we encourage individuals and groups
involved with TeX-related development work, either new or ongoing
projects, to apply.  For more information and the online application
form, please see http://www.tug.org/tc/devfund.

We'd like to again thank the TeX community for the positive response and
generous donations we've received for the development fund, and indeed
for TUG in general.

Finally, in my capacity as TUG president, I am very happy to appoint
Steve Peter as the newest member of the TUG Board of Directors.  He has
been translating and co-editing many TeX articles and documentation.  His
term expires in 2005.  Welcome, Steve!

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us for any reason.

Happy TeXing,
Karl Berry (president),
on behalf of the TUG board