[texhax] Question about caption package and esp. \captionof

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Mon Jun 7 17:46:12 CEST 2004

> So, in my preamble I put
>
> \usepackage{caption}[2004/15/16]
>
> and in my \mainmatter
>
> \begin{center}
> \fbox{\includegraphics[scale = .6]{pie}}\\
> \captionof{figure}{Pie chart of race-ethnicity}
> \label{F:pierace}
> \end{center}
>
> When I run it, I get an error that there is an undefined control
> sequence

Of course, it would have helped if you had included the error message, but I
imagine it was

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \includegraphics
                            [scale = .6]{pie}

If so, you need to put \usepackage{graphicx} in your preamble.

I also notice that you have \usepackage{caption}[2004/15/16], but there
aren't fifteen months in a year and, indeed, LaTeX warns

LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 7, version
               `2004/15/16' of package caption,
               but only version
               `2004/05/16 v3.0b Customising captions (AS)'
               is available.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe