[texhax] How to add math text to existing ps figure file

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 20 02:59:41 CEST 2004

Hello Bill,

On 20/07/2004, at 8:27 AM, Olsen, Bill wrote:

> I would like some ideas for how to add text to postscript files that I
> am including in a LaTeX document.
> I want to use LaTeX to generate the text, so that the fonts and math
> symbols will match the rest of my document.
> I need to place the text at specific places in the figures, and in
> some cases I will need to place the text on a white background that
> covers part of the figure.

Here is one TeX-based approach to this kind of problem:

       http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/

> My figures consist of schematic drawings with axes, lines, curves,
> etc., which need labels.  So far, I have made my own postscript files
> from my own reseach code (Fortran) which knows the physical problems
> being worked on.  Some of the figures I could re-build from scratch,
> and include placeholders in the ps output for text, but some of the
> figures are pretty old and I doubt that I could find the original code
> to re-created them - for those I would just like to edit the ps files
> from scratch.
>
> I would also be interested in learning a drawing environment for
> relatively simple figures.

Well, that would depend upon what computing platform you are using.

> I don't know where to begin.
> My thanks to anyone who can point me in a fruitful direction.

GnuPlot and Xfig could be appropriate free-software solutions.

Alternatively, if the academic pricing on Illustrator is available to
you,
and within your price-range, then that's a high-powered solution.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore