[texhax] Typesetting a Dictionary

John Hagerson j.hagerson at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 03:48:49 CEST 2004

Hello, all.

I'm using LaTeX to typeset a dictionary. I am using \markboth{}{} to set up
the page headings to state what text is on each page. However, I need to do
this manually. It appears that LaTeX believes the last such directive it
receives on each page.

Is there a more automated way to do this? I run into problems when an entry
ends just prior to a page break. I have worked around this by manually
increasing the space between entries to move the page break into an entry.

Example

\textbf{aardvark} \markboth{aardvark---apple}{aardvark---apple}
An aardvark is an animal...

\textbf{apple} An apple is a fruit.
...grows on trees.
%%no problem if page breaks here
...many grown in Washington.
%%problem if page breaks here

\textbf{Argentina} \markboth{Argentina---Azores}{Argentina---Azores}
Argentina is a country in South America...

Thank you for your help.