[texhax] Indenting the footnote rule - how to?

Michal Dobaczewski mdobaczewski at cc.com.pl
Wed Jul 14 17:28:29 CEST 2004

Hello,

I need to construct a one-page document in LaTeX (using tetex) where the
lower left corner of the paper must not contain any text (this is due to
the emblem being printed there on the company paper). I would like to
indent the footnotes on the page to clear this emblem. The main text
needs to stay as it is (normal).

I am using letter class. So far I have managed to hack the section of
the letter.cls file (by trial and error :( ) to indent the text of the
footnote. I changed the original code of:

\long\def\@makefntext#1{%
     \noindent
     \hangindent 5\p@
     \hb at xt@5\p@{\hss\@makefnmark}#1}

to:

\long\def\@makefntext#1{%
     \noindent
     \hangindent 100\p@
     \hb at xt@100\p@{\hss\@makefnmark}#1}

(changed the 5 to 100).

But I cannot seem to find a way to indent the line above the footnotes
(\footnoterule) as well.... :(

I would appreciate any advice on how to do this. Also, maybe there is a
much easier or elegant way to solve the original problem?

Thanks a lot,

Michal Dobaczewski.