[texhax] Hyperlink between two different files

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Fri Jul 9 12:49:52 CEST 2004

Hi, everybody.

I'm a plain TeX user, and the file hyperbasics.tex works perfectly to create
hyperlinks in the .dvi file: first of all I input the file hyperbasics.tex
into the .tex file, and then at a certain place of the .tex file I write
						\hyperdef\mysymbol{label}{}{}
and then I say
						\hyperref{}{label}{}{Voila!}
so obtaining a beautiful hyperlink.
Now I would like the same between two different files, let's call them
file1.tex and file2.tex.
In file1.tex I write
                \hyperdef\mysymbol{label}{}{}
and in file2.tex I say
                \hyperref{file1.dvi}{label}{}{Voila!}.
Then I open the two dvi files using the program xdvi, but when I click on
the word 'Voila' in file2.dvi
I get the message
                Error: reference "file1.dvi#label." not found
What's wrong? How can I recover?
Can anybody help?
Maybe this subject is not proper for this mailing list.
In this case, please could anyone suggest a proper one? I couldn't find it
so far.
Any hint will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
                Rodolfo